A Treasured Hermann Landmark
Built in 1871, the German School Building at the corner of Fourth and Schiller streets served as Hermann’s elementary school until 1955. For much of its history, the school was bilingual, with classes taught in both English and German. Today the building has found new life as the Historic Hermann Museum.
A major renovation project was completed, thanks to Missouri’s Neighborhood Assistance Program (NAP), generous donations from private individuals and untold volunteer hours.
The Kinder Room is filled with antique toys, including a hand-made carousel, books, school desks, writing slates, and doll houses.
The Heritage Room has a wealth of photographs, documents, artifacts and memorabilia from early Hermann.
Named for noted Hermann historian Art Schweighauser, this room holds a varied collection of objects depicting life in early Hermann. Of special note is a violin from the Schroeder Music Shop.
The museum’s River Room has one of the nation’s finest collections of Missouri River history, including a full-size replica of an early pilot house and model boats made by Hermann river boat captains.
A furniture maker from Germany hand carved the bedroom suite in the Els Room as part of a master craftsman’s test. Tools from the 1800s also are on display.
Music was an important part of life in early Hermann. This section of the museum has many instruments and artifacts from town bands.
PHOTOS BY TONY CAROSELLA